Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Saturday 3 April 2021

STAY HUNGRY STAY FOOLISH – RASHMI BANSAL

 


======================================================================================

When I read any book, I scribble my comments / notes in the margins

These reflect my views / opinions about what the author is saying – including my disagreement

Often, my comments are in the nature of telling myself :

Hey ! We should try out this idea in our own business ( Head-hunting / Online Recruitment )

Following are my comments re :


                STAYHUNGRY STAY FOOLISH – RASHMI BANSAL


================================================================================

Page NO 08

·         We did the same

Page no 09

·         Suppose we failed to get the journalists to notice 3pjobs.

·         3pjobs was landmark on 14 nov 1997

Page no 10

·         This is true all successful website may be the root cause of their success.

·         Recruit guru too would!

Page no 12

·         What is holiday us back

Page no 13

·         This was around the time we time we prepared an exhaustive BUSINESS PLAN and retain KPMG to find a VC – they could not.

·         This IS what keeps recruit guru going since last 12 years.

·         Once you accept VC funds, the pressure to grow & make profits, is enormous developing an innovative website. Can no more remain a hobby?

Page no 14

·         Losing focus?

·         I just could not think of burdening Nirmit with such a scenario!

Page no 15

·         May be graphical/ visual / analytical / resumes is an idea ahead of its time.

·         JAM/ RAM to be delivered on 3G smart phones will have to wait till 3G becomes de afoot standard in India.

·         This would have killed me.

Page no 16

·         For most entrepreneurs this period is just a few months!

·         May be all the websites that I developed over the last 12 years ( 7 in all) ,were to keep me mentally active / occupied .of course all of this activity cost quite a lot of money and would not have been positive without 3p subsidizing these “innovations”.

·         ALL innovations need somebody / some other source of earing, to subsidize it.And very few entrepreneurs have such support (for long enough) to survive, till he is a financial “success”

·         But “keeping me busy” cost X rupees / month making it a “Enterprprennal ventur”would cast

·         10X rupees / month – a risk, I was not prepared to undertake at my age. In 1997, Sanjeev was may be 33 years old –but I was 66 years old!!

Page no 17

·         EG: Recruit guru .com & world – wide jobs .com

·         Together, cost (may be, RS 25 LAKHS).

Page no 21

·         Priya our latest recruit (s/w developer trainee).Joined one moths back for Rs 8000/= p.m. And within 1month she is showing good promise.

Page no 22

·         I started 3p in April 1990.

·         To start 3p, deposited Rs. 3000/- & opened an on 14 Feb 1990  

·         I hired Suresh (D/E operator) 2 months later.

 Page No 23

·         My first office was maybe 30 sq.ft. and carried tea from home in a thermos & washed my cup in a common sink. After retiring as GM (powai) this was difficult where my office was 300 sq. fit & lunch got served on, my table! 

·         Brick & motor head hunting does not seem so.

Page no 32

·         He looks some courses, when I a Headed TIER-I Management Development Program of IIM –A, AT Agra, around 1966- for 5 weeks.

Page no 34   

·         I have worked with him closely when he was a consultant to L&T for re- organization around 1982/85 see my notes addressed to him.

·         EX-chairmen of HLL.

Page no 42

·         When, as DGM (personnel), I used to lead a team of managers, to IIM-A for campus Interviews.

·         Prof of computer science. He did a bit of consulting for L&T

Page no 43

·         When I purchased 12 pc (at Rs 1 lakh each) for LTIT.

Page no 44

·         “Linear Programming” was the fashion in those day.

·         I got resi-phone at Shivaji Park after a 7 year wait! 455095 around 1966.

Page no 45

·         My first appointment of Mr.Sharma in swastik products, fetched me RS. 2000/= ( 1 month’s salary ) in May 1990 that that covered the office rent!

Page no 46

·         I think Pankaj madia’s ABACUS software was first preliberalization.

Page no 47

·         As it in case of ROYAL HARBLES IN 1984/85.

PAGE NO 60

·         For us, online job portals run into hundred in India alone these were one of the first internet gassed e-commerce sites. BY now, competition is strong. Market is well – served. But, we plan to cane a niche with our unique features .

·         we too are trying to do things different by.

·         Insight  

·         Same month when Naukri was launched.

Page no 61

·         13 weeks in to the launched, customize Resume has 1004 job seekers & 36 corporates seems like a good beginning.

·         But in deep trouble, today.

Page no 63

·         In customizing of resumes, we are trying what no one has done befog, anywhere in the world.

Page no 64

·         I suppose customize world work equally well for jobseekers & recruiters in any part of world.

·         We are at this stage.

Page no 65

·         For me & my team, 12 yrs., of developing 7 jobprotals could be thought of as Foundation Unfortunately all 3 current team members are 2 yrs., 1½ yrs.,1 month with me!! So the learning & experience “is last.

·         In last few months, there was a talk of “sellout.”     

 

 

Page no 67

·         My first job at MIDCO (1958-59) did give me a lot of “exposure” but even switchgear factory of l & T was small in 1959 and petrol pump manufacture was only a part.

Page No.69

·         3p jobs .com was launched just 6/7 months after Naukri.in the next 2/3 years, there were dozens of jobprotals. But in each of our portal we tried to do thing “differently” e.g.: 

o    World-Wide-Jobs to do thing -job alerts on mobiles

o    RecruitGuru.com - parsing of text resumes   

o    India Recruiter – generating “function profile.”

o    Customize Resume –creating “versions” of profile.

Page no 71

·         3P is at Rs. 6 Cr. After 20 Yrs.

Page no 72

·         Some 30 yrs. Ago, ESSAR bought a second hand sponge iron plant in Europe & got L&T to dismantle ship @rect it at Hazira. This was the beginning of ESSAR’S steel Business.

Page no 74

·         No one knows how many TONs of MONEY Sharad Pawar (current Agriculture minister)made by making DUTY FREE.

·         Million ton is lying in godowns at kandla port right now! For last 6 months imports (incl. Renuka) are waiting for prices to go up before releasing in the market! Current price is approx. Rs- 45/- kg up 50% in last 6 months!!

Page 83

·         What happened to us when retained KPMG to find a VC funding in 2001- after the DOTCOM bust. 


No comments:

Post a Comment