Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Monday 3 May 2021

WHY SMART EXECUTIVES FAIL AND WHAT YOU CAN LEARN FROM THEIR MISTAKES - SYDNEY FINKELSTEIN

 



====================================================================================

When I read any book, I scribble my comments / notes in the margins


These reflect my views / opinions about what the author is saying – including my disagreement

Often, my comments are in the nature of telling myself :

Hey ! We should try out this idea in our own business ( Head-hunting / Online Recruitment )

Following are my comments re :

  WHY SMART EXECUTIVES FAIL AND WHAT YOU CAN LEARN FROM THEIR MISTAKES - SYDNEY FINKELSTEIN   

                                                                                                          
=====================================================================================

Pg. No. 4

·         Will Global Recruiter / India Recruiter “suddenly shift business conditions” for recruitment industry in India (as I hope it will)? If yes, how will Bhikhchandani (Naukri) / Tadanki (Monster) / Sunder (Thimesjobs) react?

·         (19-05-06)

·         Ultimate cause of all deaths is stoppage of heart!

Pg. No. 7

·         We are yet to get launched – hence question of failure does not arise. But we do have problem of “insufficient funds”. Could that cause a “failure to succeed”? Can happen, if after initial success, lack of funds prevents us from ramping-up operations.

·         (19-05-06)

·         India Recruiter launch should happen in 3/4 weeks.

·         Hence the term “burn-rate”!

Pg. No. 15

·         I see danger here since I am in love with “Image Builder” / features of IndiaRecruiter.net / concept of GlobalRecruiter.net

·         (20-05-06)

Pg. No. 21

·         I don’t expect Image Builder to become a “hit” amongst jobseekers. Many may even resist. But I believe HR Mgrs. would “love” it.

·         I too want that, one day Global Recruiter + World-Wide-Jobs, will deliver job-info to every jobseeker in all the corners of India – but I am not in a hurry.

·         (21-05-06)

·         With just 3 employees (less than 3 months with me), I have to decide about everything

·         I have no funds – little investments – so less worry

Pg. No. 22

·         In India, at this moment, Jobsites market is crow deal with over 500 jobsites. A mere “one-more-run-of-the-mill” jobsite would have no chance! We have to be very different.

·         See webpage “Shape of Things to Come” on Global Recruiter.

Pg. No. 23

·         Our various graphs (in Image Builder) “condense” resume-data

·         3P was born in April 1990.

Pg. No. 24

·         I need to generate hype about India Recruiter but I can only send out emails to corporate HR Mgrs. / Placement Agencies / Jobseekers / HR Consultants etc. I hope it work.

·         Lock of cash is my biggest problem

·         Who is who!

·         I am going to find it difficult to convince existing jobsites to partner with Global Recruiter – but many new entrepreneurs will join.

·         What I am trying thru Image Builder

·         All partner websites will get same WEBSERVICE from Global Recruiter – same technology for everyone.

Pg. No. 25

·         When we launch India Recruiter, I will be emailing to journalists. I can’t afford a Press Conference.

·         Premature?

·         I am styling Image Builder as the “new currency of recruitment” – accepted by HR Mgrs. around the world.

·         Too soon announcement.

·         I will try to rope in all search engines. For WWJ, tomorrow I will sign with BSNL in Delhi

·         (21-05-06)

Pg. No. 26

·         We have chosen to announce only after launch-soon delay. We will also test very thoroughly-before launch-to reduce-if not eliminate “product failure”.

·         By adopting “pay-per-click”, I am synchronising my strategy with those of all major Search-Engines. This, I hope, upsets the business-model of Naukri / Monster India / times jobs.

·         With the boom in recruitment, can we say, we are launching India Recruiter at the right time?

Pg. No. 27

·         Every day, I am drafting promo emails to 8/10 influential business leaders. If they like Image Builder, they can swing the opinion of the majority of HR executives. If that happens, then only Image Builder can hope to become “Industry standard”.

Pg. No. 28

·         With Image Builder, I too feel like this.

Pg. No. 29

·         “How to make money” is built into Global Recruiter’s (1) “Pay-Per-Click” model (2) Network of partner websites.

·         However success will depend upon Corporate HR mgrs. and Executive Search Firms, adopting Image Builder.

·         I am entirely depending upon email campaign-at ZERO cost.

·         Our redeeming feature-no debt!

·         And with continuously dropping tariff.

Pg. No. 30

·         Today, Image Builder is suitable only for “experienced” professionals. We need another version for “in-experienced fresh graduates – nearly 5 million graduating each year. Too large a market to overlook

·         We have spent all together 3/4 yrs. developing frame-work for WWJ / Global Recruiter.

Pg. No. 31

·         Image Builder is also long-very long. Despite its length, I hope the graphical presentation will make it so easy to grasp that HR mgrs.. will overlook the length! Far easier than a text resume.

Pg. No. 32

·         In India, for large companies, (MRTP Act) it was “anything for which you can get a mfg. license from Govt.”

Pg. No. 33

·         Right now, India is on the verge of a big business boom.

·         Indian online jobsites number 500+ but most are owned by Exec. Search Firms for collecting resumes online. Only a few have “Job Search” features.

·         Quite like India of 60’s & 70’s & 80’s.

Pg. No. 35

·         Right now, we have a situation of acute “talent shortage” despite huge “unemployable” manpower. HR mgrs. are getting flooded with resumes of such “unemployable” people. Infosys manages to find 1 good resume out of every 100. It is same story everywhere. HR mgrs. are hard-pressed & desperate. I plan to offer Image Builder as a solution.

·         My greatest redeeming feature is (1) only 3 employees (2) total cumin. Investment of a few lakhs of rupees.

Pg. No. 36

·         No VC backing for me as of now.

·         I am still taking of a revolution in online recruitment industry.

·         Thru dozens websites, I plan to create a huge “Distribution Channel” albeit a SIMPLE one & of course “online”

·         Our “web service” will be automatic-to partner websites’ customers.

Pg. No. 37

·         Would need mindboggling logistics.

·         Global Recruiters growth will depend upon our ability to persuade websites to tie-up / partner.

Pg. No. 38

·         I like to think this way for Global Recruiter’s role in Online Recruitment Industry. Time will tell.

·         This is my idea of partner websites-to network with.

Pg. No. 39

·         Global Recruiter’s customers are Corpo. HR mgrs.-who-at this moment is very hard pressed for time (to review resumes) and trying to fill vacancies-with competent candidates-by the afternoon. I guess they want something like Image Builder which enables them to separate “good” from “bad” candidates & do it fast.

·         (24-05-06)

·         ? They spent $ 1 b.

·         Boy!

Pg. No. 40

·         Navigation on India Recruiter would be far far simpler as compared to Naukri / Monster India / Thimesjobs etc. it would be trend-setting for many websites. We will follow the pattern which we set in WWJ.

Pg. No. 44

·         I would like to rope-in major search-engines (Google-Yahoo-MNS etc.) to become partner websites of Global Recruiter – without having any financial stake / managerial involvement. For funds we will select a CV, who will bring contacts but I do not want the VC

·         To dictate my strategy / business policy

Pg. No. 45

·         This is why I don’t like VCs – especially those without domain expertise in recruitment.

·         If India Recruiter (& really Global Recruiter) becoming a roaring success, we would need to invest heavily on webservers and in S/W developers.

·         We will ramp-up only “after” they come.

Pg. No. 46

·         This is why JAM has failed to take-off! Neither MSPs, nor we, have spent anything on mktg.

·         We have spent 3 years to develop Image Builder. I hope this investment (of time) will give us a lead of 1 year.

·         (25-05-06)

Pg. No. 47

·         Monster / Naukri / Thimesjobs may need no more than 1 year at the most – to come up with their own version of Image Builders. That is all the time I have to establish Image Builders. Industry standard. During this one year, we will need money to “market” aggressively.

·         I am planning to offer FREE services to employers during July / Aug. / Sept., on India Recruiter. If we succeed to register 1000 corporates, we can safely go ahead.

Pg. No. 48

·         I sure feel this way about Global Recruiter.

·         I am saying similar about Image Builder – the new currency of recruitment.

Pg. No. 49

·         Sounds quite like – “Image Builder – the new currency of recruitment. Issued by India Recruiter”. But my promo emails will get released only after the launch-after very thorough testing.

·         For me the most strategic is “Pay-Per=Click” @ Re: 1/=

·         I will not approach potential partners till India Recruiter proves a success.

Pg. No. 50

·         Pay-Per-Click

·         I am already!

·         I feel someway about Image Builder & Global Recruiter.

·         Compering jobsites could easily develop offer, other profiles – but not Function Profile / Karma Scope.

Pg. No. 51

·         I don’t think me-or my team-can gets anywhere unless we are “true believers” in want we are trying. How else can I dream of taking on Goliaths like Monster / Naukri / times jobs?

·         I don’t think Monster / Naukri / times jobs will

Ø  Consider, our Re 1/= per click tariff plan as any kind of a threat,

Ø  Ever dare to give-up their current “Revenue-Model” (a fat / annual / lump sum subscription) this, then, could be our only real “Entry Barrier”.

·         Small & medium enterprises are the ones which are likely to value India Recruiter’s services, the most. They have, may be 5/10 vacancies to be filled in a year – hence they cannot afford the “Post Job” / “Search Resume” tariff of Monster / Naukri / times jobs etc., running up to Rs. 1 lakh / year. May be they can afford Rs. 500/= to fill each vacancy! They should love Re: 1/= per” click” tariff-plan.

·         This has been a gratifying week. On Monday, I signed JAM service agreement with BSNL in Delhi. Today, I received copies of JAM Agreements from Reliance.

Pg. No. 52

·         When Image Builder catches the fancy of HR mgrs., will Monster / Naukri / times job, take notice? And respond? How?

·         Can I hope they will not act?

Pg. No. 54

·         We too will need lakhs of resumes before we can improve Function / salary graphs / Tenure Graphs etc.

·         I must plan a monthly meeting with HR mgrs. to understand their need.

Pg. No. 55

·         I would need Rahul to remain present during my meetings with HR mgrs., so that he precisely understands their need – and is able to incorporate solutions in India Recruiter within days or weeks at the most.

Pg. No. 56

·         I hope Image Builder manages a similar miracle.

Pg. No. 59

·         See my not “Learning from the Past”.

Pg. No. 60

·         I have to do likewise in India Recruiter

·         If placement agencies are one of my targets I should observe how 3P uses Image Builder

Pg. No. 61

·         Today, rules of “Online recruitment” game (jobsites) are set by Monster India / Naukri / times jobs. I plan to change these rules viz:

1.    Stand Alone jobsite to a NETWORK of partner jobsites

2.    Lump sum subscription to “Pay-Per-Click” model of all online advts

3.    Plain text resumes to Image Builders

Pg. No. 62

·         In recruitment mkt., placement agencies are like “retailers”. They obtain “good quality” resumes from diff. jobsites-then pass along to end-employers. These agencies have their hardisk (shelves) filled up with plain text resumes supplied by Monster Naukri etc. our job is to get them to empty these shelves and then fill up with Image Builders – Superior Quality @ low cost. I also plan to give a 3 month FREE trial.

·         In GR’s web service there will be SAME info. System for all partner websites. Besides, partner websites carry no (ZERO) inventory!

Pg. No. 63

·         This is it is so very important for us to get large recruiters like Wipro / Infosys etc. to switchover to Image Builder. Once they do, the rest will follow.

·         (28-05-06)

Pg. No. 65

·         There is no doubt that today, online recruitment market is dominated by Naukri / Monster India & times jobs. Between them, they have possibly 95% of the Rs. 240 cr. Market today-which will grow by 60% next year. It is going to be an uphill task to take-on such Goliaths-and that too simultaneously. If I can get times jobs to partner, I have a fighting chance.

·         Image Builder is the equivalent online recruitment.

·         5 lakh small companies. Who are not using jobsites today for their recruitment needs?

·         At Re. 1= per click I hope, I can persuade those 5 lakh small companies to start advt. online – who will never we Monster / Naukri for Rs. 20,000/= per quarter.

Pg. No. 66

·         Will large customers (like Wipro / Infosys) go back & tell Naukri / Monster / times jobs, “Look, we need you to give us something similar – or preferably, better than the Image Builder. How fast can you give? If not, we have no choice but to shift to India Recruiter.

·         I want to watch reactions from Monster / Naukri etc.

·         I suppose they will try to play down the “visual / graphical” representation (which is one of our differentiator) as “cheap / childish / insulting to HR mgr.’s intelligence! As far as

Pg. No. 67

·         Functional Profile Graphs & Karma Scope is concerned, they will try to ridicule these by saying this is like “pulling the wool over the eyes” of HR mgrs. Absolute “humbug” – without any scientific basis. Not rational. It would be good if they adopt such a “attitude” (towards Image Builder) to start with – because, then, it (Such attitude) would prevent them from coming up a “Rational / Intelligent” response! I should know in 2 months-if we succeed in launching India Recruiter on my birthday (27th June).

·         (28-05-06)

Pg. No. 68

·         Image Builder will start with ZERO market shares, when launched next month.

·         Is corporate HR mgrs. needs dramatically changing? Yes. They have no time to go thru 500 resumes a day & sort out “fake” from “Genuine”. They are under tremendous pressure to hire

1.    Competent People

2.    Very fast

3.    At affordable Salaries

4.    Who will not quit in 3 months.

Pg. No. 69

·         Arum Tadanki (Monster India) and R. Sunder (times jobs) are employees-not owners-with limited manoeuvrability / flexibility. Sanjeev Bhikhchandani (Naukri) is owner / founder but now answerable to VCs who look “short-term”. All 3 have rigidity built into their setup. They cannot be expected to react fast.

·         All 3 consider then-selves #1 Jobsite.

Pg. No. 70

·         We will carefully listen to HR mgrs. – even if they make impossible demands (Patience / Perseverance / Politeness).

·         “If you don’t obsolete yourself, your competitors will” – The odour Levitt.

·         Historical Baggage. I hope Monster / Naukri / time’s jobs “success” becomes their biggest hurdle!

Pg. No. 71

·         Even though Image Builder could be considered a “Second-Generation” product, I don’t think Indian HR managers, are articulate enough to voice their demand for such a product, on their own. But, I hope, once they see Image Builder, they would discard plain text resumes.

·         No music-lover demanded Walk-Man, but once SONY introduced it, it became huge success.

Pg. No. 72

·         If Image Builder becomes a “roaring success”, I will face the problem of “ramping-up” operations in a very short time.

·         Besides lot of H/W (servers) I would need many more S/W developers and even more “marketing guys-all within weeks

Pg. No. 73

·         This week jury found him guilty of fraud. He may get a prison-term of 30 yrs.!

·         (28-05-06)

·         Will this pattern hold for Monster / Naukri? Or, is it too much of a wishful thinking?

Pg. No. 74

·         Image Builder

·         Placement Agencies for us

·         I suppose this is how Monster / Naukri / times jobs executives think.

Pg. No. 75

·         This week DELL opened 2 brick & mortar stores where people can witness demo of Dell products then place orders “online”.

Pg. No. 80

·         So, everything was “different” – “Differentiate or Die” (Jack Trout)

·         Our partner websites would be comparable in scope

·         We will need many people to work like this with our partner websites.

·         One estimate puts new placement agencies since year 2000 at more than 1500! Obviously employment market is hitting up!

 Pg. No. 81

·         It is quite likely that in the beginning, partner websites will be owned by “entrepreneurs”. Only when they flourish, will existing websites decide to become partners.

·         Extrapolation of past “trends”

Pg. No. 82

·         It will be precisely the same situation for Global Rec. the key players will be “partner websites”. I intend to build-up a formidable network of such partners by offering to them, a revolutionary product (service) for distribution (i.e. Image Builder) – and sharing 80% revenue. They will be our mainstay-our foundation.

Pg. No. 83

·         Industry Standard.

Pg. No. 84

·         Global Recruiter’s partner websites would really be “licensees” who will pay to GR, 20% their revenue as “License Fee”. GR will be licensing its “Web service”.

Pg. No. 88

·         “Image Builder” can be considered a “format-specific” resume. All partner websites (the alliance network) will deliver same format

·         We have no H/W to sell. For us market power will come from availability of Image Builder – only at partner websites.

Pg. No. 89

·         3P too completed 16 yrs. on April 14. (1990-2006)

Pg. No. 91

·         Empire

Pg. No. 98

·         Read, “Why successful managers (CEO) don’t take YES for an answer”.

Pg. No. 109

·         I am counting on the inability of Monster / Naukri / times jobs to switch from their huge lump sum subscription model to our planned “Pay-Per-Click” model / “Network of jobsites” model of delivering Web-Services.

Pg. No. 110

·         Arrogance.

Pg. No. 112

·         Being a web service, we will not face this issue.

Pg. No. 126

·         Yesterday, on a TV channel (NDTV: Profit), I saw the interview of Sanjeev Bhikhchandani (CEO / Naukri), and a huge office-building that he is constructing for staff. There is no question of “underestimating” his resources.

·         (09-06-06)

Pg. No. 127

·         With oil prices crossing #72/ barrel (from $50/ barrel, a year ago), American Public is shifting to low fuel consumption smaller Japanese cars-which, incidentally are American-cars because these are manufactured in America! Only Jap-brands

·         I will need “collective wisdom” of human experts (could be HR mgrs. / functional – Industry experts) to define emerging “Functional” & “Industry”.

Pg. No. 128

·         Read “Sun Rises in the West”

Pg. No. 139

·         Global Recruiter / India Recruiter’s “Secret of Success” does not lie in any one / single feature. Apart from “Profiles” – which, I hope, would attract HR mgrs. to switch-over, - other features are

1.    Pay per click

2.    Network of partner websites

3.    Feedback to jobseekers

4.    Interactive Interview Tool

5.    JAM integration

6.    Tie-up with MSPs

7.    .Net based web-service

·         For GR, this is the most important aspect

·         I tend to feel this way about “Profiles”

Pg. No. 140

·         I am counting on the simplicity / visual graphics of the Profiles”, to “cause” the HR mgrs. to reject plain text resumes & insist on Profiles. For me, this is the “Causal Factor”. But I don’t expect this factor to manifest on its own. Thru thousands of emails I am going to “plant” this idea in the minds of HR mgrs. – idea that they must refuse plain text resumes.

Pg. No. 141

·       Learning Carve -

a)    Introduce better / newer profiles

b)    Self-learning software / auto-improvements

c)    Cap true “Collective Wisdom” of HR mgrs.

·       Assets – I have a distinct “disadvantage” here (e.g.: VC Funds)

·       Lock-In I will try like hell to rope in many websites portals Search-Engines to join-up with GR

·         Monster / Naukri have far more resources will certainly catch-up if they find “Profiles” displacing them.

·         Corporate HR mgrs. are not going to give-up on Monster / Naukri in any great hurry, even if they like & try out “Profiles”.

·         For large companies, annual fees of Monster / Naukri are not an issue at all. It is chicken-feed! So, they will not switch-over for cost-savings.

·         This is where GR / IR will differ from other jobsites

·         (10-06-06)

Pg. No. 142

·         “Profiles” is an entirely new way.

·         Q: How long can we make this advantage last? How much “lead-time” do we have? During this time, how much ahead can we move?

·         I am trying to instil this “fear” into the heads of jobseekers & HR managers.

·         For us the indicators of success will be

1.    No. of corpo. subscribers

2.    No. of partner websites

3.    No. of registered jobseekers

4.    No. of jobs getting posted.

Pg. No. 143

·         Our addition of new features / new profiles will be based on how enthusiastically the HR mgrs. / Placement Agencies, switch-over to “Profiles”. That will be like our “Market Test”. But before launch, I plan to give a demo to few ERA members.

Pg. No. 145

·         Profiles” is all about “creating a want” in the minds of HR managers-something that does not exist. No one ever came forward to ask / demand for “Profiles”. My hope is, when they see “one” they would want it & will never go back to a plain text resume!

·         (11-06-06)

·         Infer-active Interview Tool (IIT) will be a very different exp. For HR mgrs.

·         And this we they announced setting up a factory in India to make digital phones.

Pg. No. 147

·         India Recruiter’s “Resume Search” by (a) Company Name (b) Actual designation, would obsolete all other types of resume search. This is something very simple-and very obvious-that Monster / Naukri should have done long ago!

·         Placement Agencies are the biggest market for Monster / Naukri. They release 70% of the advts. That is why we will target these Agencies-to switch-over to India Recruiter

·         Like Naukri having diversified into Jeevansathi.com (matrimonial website) & “99acre” a real estate website.

·         Buyer meet Seller Search of Sellers & Buyers

Pg. No. 148

·         L & T did get into shoe-mfr – ostensibly to boost merchant exports but failed miserably. I did implement this project – which was decided by my predecessor.

Pg. No. 150

·         If I can get a few well-known websites to become GR partners, many lesser known may commit “Film Producer Error”.

Pg. No. 152

·         I am also planning to “build, the biggest network of jobsites in the world”! But I am trying to risk no more than a few lakhs of rupees. So, failure will not hurt much!

·         And I don’t owe even one rupee to any friend / VC / bank.

·         (17-06-06)

·         I know that jobseekers will resist “Profiles” as long as they can. I am counting on HR mgrs. to insist on Profiles because, it increases their productivity, and many fold.

Pg. No. 153

·         My job is to project “Profiles” as the ULTIMATE productivity tool to HR mgrs. across industries. That would require endorsement of Professional Bodies & respected HR consultants + heavy users / recruiters.

Pg. No. 154

·         We will even try to get endorsements from org. like PENEHYNE / AESC etc. / KPMG (Pradeep Ulhās?)

·         A lot of US / European Cos. Are setting up operations in India. They might appreciate Profiles.

Pg. No. 155

·         I will make further investments (Manpower / Space / Servers) only when I have absolute proof that “Profiles” are on way to become Industry standard.

1)    No. of partner websites

2)    No. of corpo. subscribers

3)    No. of jobseekers

Pg. No. 156

·         Since I plan to launch India Recruiter & Global Recruiter Simultaneously, we will ensure that ADMIN-TOOL for all the three (Jobseekers / Corpo. Subscribers / Partner Websites) is in place first – so that even if there is a rapid ramp up, there will be no “Chaos”.

Pg. No. 157

·         Monster / Naukri / times jobs are very competent and as compared to us, they have literally infinite resources. But they also have “Historical baggage” (of huge annual lump sum subscription) – which, they cannot jettison easily in favour of “Pay-Per-Click” model.

·         Business / Revenue Model of 3pjobs.com were flawed. We carried our OFFLINE model to our ONLINE Venture-so it never worked!

·         We will need to give demos to ERA / NHRD network members to get their feedback.

·         Pg. No. 158

·         What is our “Event-Combination”?

-          Product (Plain Text resume Vs. Profiles)

-          Business Model (Standalone Website Vs. Network of Websites)

-          Revenue Model (Lump Sum Subscription Vs. Pay-Per-Click)

-          Innovation (Resume Mgmt. / Tracking Vs. Karma Scope Interview did)

Pg. No. 160

·         Exactly what we are trying to do with Profiles (with just 3 trainee s/w developers!). Hence I have to be patient & let them decide the time-frame.

·         I have avoided this.

Pg. No. 161

·         For Monster / Naukri / times jobs, Global Recruiter would (hopefully) appear to be a “new / minor competitor”. But I cannot count upon their ignoring GR – unless GR fails to gather momentum.

·         (18-06-06)

·         It is quite possible that these 3 will continue to focus on each other’s competitive moves.

·         Monster & Naukri are both advertising & claiming (in the advts.) to be India’s “No. 1 Jobsite”. If they think that any response to GR might result in having to give-up this claim, they are unlikely to consider such a “response”.

Pg. No. 162

·         I wonder if it has occurred to Sanjeev Bhikhchandani (Naukri) or Arun Tadanki (Monster India) that (1) they are basically into ADVT / MEDIA business (2) their competition might come from this industry rather than from 500 existing jobsites (3) their revenue model is faulty and that, world-wide, online Advts., get charged on “Pay-Per-View” basis.

·         This is precisely what will happen with the launch of GR.

·         By providing a common platform / network of many websites, we will enable Corporates & Jobseekers, a true “roaming”. Naukri / Monster may “assume” this to be impossible!

·         (18-06-06)

Pg. No. 168

·         Could Monster / Nauru’s (ddvt / TV) pronouncements of being “India’s No. 1 Jobsite”, have anything to do with such internal zombie culture?

Pg. No. 172

·         Monster is the biggest job board in the world-and Monster India is on its way to become the biggest in India. Naukri too is hugely successful-with sales topping Rs. 85 cr. (2005 / 06) compared to Rs. 45 cr. In 2004 - 2005.

·         Monster India’s sales is also close to R. 100/= core (05 / 06). These successes are based on charging lump sum annual subscription of Rs. 1 / 1.5 Lakh from each corpo. Subscriber. They will find it VERY difficult (if not impossible) to change their Business-Model – a model that has brought them success.

Pg. No. 173

·         I suppose neither placement Agencies nor HR mgrs. are really bothered about “technological superiority” of Profiles. We have to project Profiles to them, primarily for its “Productivity Enhancement” capabilities

·         Customers do not always “articulate” / express forcefully, what they need / want. Also, sometime a company succeeds in creating a demand for its products; eg: Walkman / iPod / Cell-Phones.

Pg. No. 174

·         Lotus waits & sees!

Pg. No. 175

·         I need to find out from ERA members whether (1) “Profiles” is a “better offering” as compared to what plain text resumes they download from Monster / Naukri (2) if yes, would ERA Exec. Committee take upon itself to recommend / endorse Profiles to its member-firms.

Pg. No. 177

·         I have witnessed this in L & T.

Pg. No. 179

·         Big companies (having large recruitment plans), are bound to view GR’s “Pay-Per-Click” with scepticism-which is natural. Unless there are millions of registered jobseekers (on GR), who will click & view the advts? So, what difference will it make even if this service is free? So, cost saving is not the reason why they would want to change to GR. But, if they like ‘Profiles’, they will come & post their jobs on GR – for that reason.

·         Very true

Pg. No. 183

·         Some 25 years ago, I remember L & T chairman N. M. Desai, telling me: “Parekh, forget about what we think of ourselves; what does the outside world, think of us?”

Pg. No. 184

·         One thing I observed on all jobsites-their homepages are an utter confusion & inside pages are even worse! On WWJ / GR / IR, there is only one page-the Homepage. All other pages get pulled & get displayed on homepage.

·         GR is one giant JV with partners. It has no independent existence of its own!

Pg. No. 185

·         Refer my today’s note: Virtual Interview Portal – VIP; which will empower corporates to conduct online (Virtual) interviews, using IM technology. This could be the first / elimination “round” of interview, proceeding physical / across-the-table interview. VIP could also substitute for physical “WALK-IN” interviews. Jobseekers will simply “WALK-IN” online! Which HR mgr. thought of this? None.

·         (19-06-06)

Pg. No. 186

·         When they see India Recruiter, how will Monster / Naukri react? It will be very educative to watch their response.

·         My planned VIP could turn out to be a flop! But if we within 4 wks. of developer’s time, it is worth the risk.

Pg. No. 201

·         With the time-overrun on launch of Global Recruiter, I feel terribly frustrated & & impatient – especially when newspapers, daily repost of recruitment of thousands of people every day – using jobsites. But I realise the importance of a thorough testing be for launch. I have only one chance of making a “Good FIRST impression”

·         (23-06-06)

·         Jet-Sahara deal came unstuck 2 days ago-because of this.

Pg. No. 202

·         ADMIN TOOL of World-Wide-Jobs has clearly shown (thru day-to-day statistics) that JAM has failed to take off! Only I know the reasons too well viz : I have no fund to “advertise” this novel / useful service amongst millions of jobseekers!

·         But does not have to be.

·         To keep track of all online transactions, I have decided not to launch GR / IR unless a comprehensive ADMIN TOOL is ready.

Pg. No. 203

·         Early this week, VODAPHONE reported an operating a loss of $ 41 BILLON! I suppose CEO Aru Saran will get a sack.

·         (23-06-06)

Pg. No. 210

·         I believe I have learned my lessons from 3pjobs.com / Recruitguru.com / World-Wide-Jobs.com; I am trying to do things “differently” in Global Recruiter.

·         (24-06-06)

·         E.g.;

·         Our use of Guru Mine (from Recruit Guru) into Global Recruiter. We had a team of 6/8 S/W developers who spent 8/10 months to develop Guru Mine & Guru Search.

Pg. No. 211

·         In Global Recruiter, our effort is similar.

·         TATA are making a huge (Rs. 1000 core) investment to produce (by 2008) a Rs. 1 lakh people’s car. I hope they have learned from their INDICA experience. Fortunately, we have invested only a few lakhs in developing GR. We will invest more, as we go along.

·         $ 100 billion in Europe I am constantly asking. What will make HR mgrs. to sing-up?

Pg. No. 212

·         Most of 2005, Recruit guru was a 2 person organisation (Abhi & I). In 2006, we are a 4 person team (Rahul – Saurabh – Pranav and I) so far (i.e. last ¾ months), so, we don’t have these problems of (1) zombie attitude or (2) bad procedures.

·         Despite this, should Global Recruiter flop, it could be due to one or both of the following reasons:

1.    “Mistaken picture of reality” on my part (viz: my fundamental assumptions that our superior product & superior business-model, will lure, HR mgrs. away from Monster / Naukri / times jobs)

2.    Inadequate funds to market GR.

·         (24-06-06)

Pg. No. 213

·         Even if I have made a huge mistake (in understanding what HR mgrs. & jobseekers want) and therefore, Global Recruiter is a total failure, this is one thing I don’t have to worry about! Of course, my ego & my self-esteem, may suffer a big blow!!

·         (25-06-06)

·         Worry some Qualities = Bottom Box

·         Top Box

·         May be, one day, the two boxes of Karma Scope will show the “Co-existence” (Top box / Bottom box) of such “Personal Qualities”.

Pg. No. 214

·         “I can do no wrong” mentality

·         They need to learn “Karma-Yogi”. I do nothing. Whatever has to happen will happen? I am merely an instrument of God’s will.

Pg. No. 215

·         Utter nonsense

Pg. No. 216

·         Reminds me of (1) Harry Ellison (2) Richard Branson

-          Vijay Mallya

-          Steve Jobs

-          Anil Ambani.s

-          Anil Naik

Pg. No. 217

·         I know that when we launch India Recruiter (in 2/3 months), we would have a “Superior Product” – as compared to Monster / Naukri – but I also know that within 6/12 months, they could come up with something as good or even better. “Profiles” is quite vulnerable!

·         (25-06-06)

·         They may find it difficult to counter (1) Pay-Per-Click (2) Network of Partner websites. But, they will try to find a way out! We just cannot afford to become complacent.

Pg. No. 218

·         Should Global Recruiter turn-out to be vastly popular among HR mgrs. – then that will be all-the-more-reason to find out, what more, do HR mgrs. want in terms of new features. We must ask them, “What makes you unhappy about Monster / Naukri?

Pg. No. 219

·         This is my problem as well – ‘Global Recruiter’ has become a “part of my existence” ; but I also repeat every morning “I do nothing / I achieve nothing / I am not responsible”. Neither failure nor achievement can be avoided by any conscious effort.

Pg. No. 228

·         PR companies owe their existence to this tendency.

Pg. No. 229

·         We too, certainly need many print & electronic media to carry news about Global Recruiter – but only after plenty of HR mgrs. are ready to “Recommend highly” – having used IR personally. The product has to work fool proof before launch.

·         I would rather “under-promise” & “over-perform”

Pg. No. 233

·         Maybe I am able to admit that 3pjobs.com & Recruitguru.com failed to click (for a no. of reasons-including my inability to read the market reality), because I have no worry to lose any position! And I could be wrong once again in case of Global Recruiter! No one knows the future. My job is to keep trying. I do feel I am (maybe) a burden on Nirmit, but he has always supported whatever I decide to do.

·         (28-06-06)

·         Even when I knew that Royal Marble was a failure, I pumped in another Rs. 1 lakh (along with other 3 partners) – in the hope, it will survive.

·         3 jobsites-now a 4th!!

·         I have 3 S/W developers today. Tomorrow, I plan to hire one more! Again in the hope that this time, we will succeed.

Pg. No. 234

·         HR mgrs. badly need those millions of “Resumes” on jobsites-but hate to spend endless hours searching for their “Needle in the haystack”. So, any future that eliminates / reduces the “search-time” should be welcome.

·         We will start our testing first with 3P & Strategic HR – then a few ERA members & a few friendly HR mgrs. we will launch only after getting a + ve feedback. We must get their endorsement. We just cannot afford any negative publicity.

·         (26-06-06)

Pg. No. 236

·         Whether it was Recruit guru or World-Wide-Jobs, we solely relied on “promo emails” & a few hundred “snail mails”. For Global Recruiter too, we would use these but we will also give demos to ERA / NIPM / National HRD Network members & even a few large companies.

Pg. No. 245

·         In proposing Global Recruiter Network, I may be guilty of this. It is indeed a GRAND plan! But then there is very little at stake, other than my last 3 years of work and an expenditure of 4/5 lakhs of Rupees. Even should it fail, no great harm done. On other hand if it clicks, it will be a revolution! See my list of FEATURE priority of to-day.

·         (01-07-06)

Pg. No. 248

·         Unless I have clear “proof” (i.e. No. of partner websites & no. of corpo. registrations) that India Recruiter has actually caught-on, I am not hiring any mktg. / sales people. Even hiring of additional S/W developers will depend upon this

·         (02-07-06)

Pg. No. 250

·         I will know when I demonstrate India Recruiter to a few ERA members. If response is encouraging then, we will get together a bigger group of HR mgrs. & WRA members, at same time.

Pg. No. 251

·         Monster India / Naukri & timesjobs.com, all are extremely successful (in terms of Sales / Profit / no. of customers etc.) in online recruitment business. But that (success) is not the main reason I want to launch Global Recruiter. May be I think, I have something better to offer to both jobseekers and to recruiters.

·         Microsoft grew by only 8% latest quarter (or, year?)

Pg. No. 259

·         This is strictly a “no-no” for us. I want competitors, not to even notice India Recruiter, till it becomes too late for them to respond decisively.

·         (04-07-06)

·         Holck Larsen’s Birthday.

Pg. No. 260

·         N the Indian context of millions of unemployed (despite not being able to find / recruit enough S/W engineers), this metaphor translates into hyping: “At India Recruiter, you don’t search jobs – you search appointment letters”!

·         This is why it is so very important for us to FIRST get an endorsement of Profiles, from – ERA – NHRD network – NASSCOM etc.

·         Any response mounted by Monster, Naukri after such endorsement would be ineffective.

Pg. No. 262

·         Google refuses to announce “Guidance / Forecast” despite pressure from wall street

Pg. No. 263

·         Microsoft routinely delays launch of its products by months or even years!

·         Almost a profile of Mr. Holck Larsen

Pg. No. 272

·         I think I have learned from 3pjobs.com & Recruitguru.com. Without these experiments, I may not have conceived Global Recruiter / World-Wide-Jobs.

·         Global Recruiter would have (ZERO) market-share to start with. EVEN if we manage to get 10% would be a proof that we are offering what customers (HR mgrs.) want. And if we fail to get even that 10% we will call it a day!

Pg. No. 273

·         My strategy rests on the assumption that we can change the online recruitment scenario by adopting “Pay-Per-Click” revenue model. This is the model adopted by Google-Yahoo-AOL-MSN etc. My assumption is that adoption of this model, will take online recruitment to the bottom of the pyramid i.e. 500,000 small firms of India, which, today, do NOT advertise their jobs online. In a manner of speaking, Global Recruiter would be online “Advertising Industry” not online recruitment industry!

·         Ought to be other way around.

Pg. No. 274

·         It could be a loss of “wishful thinking” to compare,:

Ø  Word Processors – Plain Text resumes

Ø  Personal Computers – “Profiles”

·         I have no animosity towards Monster / Naukri / times jobs. But I have a “duty” to perform viz: Launch Global Recruiter. I cannot turn my back on that. Only what is in my destiny – and in their destiny, will happen.

·         (04-07-06)

·         Also applies to me.

Pg. No. 275

·         Will Global Recruiter succeed in upsetting the “Status Quo” of online recruitment industry in India? We will certainly try very hard.

Pg. No. 282

·         Read “A whole New Mind” (Daniel Pink) which has an entire chapter devoted to “STORY”.

Pg. No. 284

·         As far as Global Recruiter is concerned, I cannot merely “talk” about my concept. It is so radically different (from Monster / Naukri etc.) that the only way HR mgrs. can appreciate it is to actually “demonstrate” in action – once the product is ready. But at that point, endorsement by ERA etc. & endorsement by a few leading HR mgrs. is a must.

·         (05-07-06)

Pg. No. 287

·         Last week, Kerkorian (who holds 7% - 8% of General Motor’s stock), advised GM to forge an alliance with NISSAN & RENAULT, who, seem willing to buy 10% of GM’s stock. GM board will discuss this day-after, tomorrow

·         (05-07-06)

Pg. No. 288

·         Now setting up a plant in India to mfr. cheap handsets priced at $ 30 & may be $ 20 for India’s rural markets.

Pg. No. 289

·         $ 5 billion

Pg. No. 291

·         (05-07-06)

·         Kenneth Lay (Enron) died today of heart-attack (at the age of 64), in Aspen, Colorado.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


No comments:

Post a Comment