Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Wednesday 19 May 2021

MAVERICK - RICARDO SEMLER



====================================================================================

When I read any book, I scribble my comments / notes in the margins


These reflect my views / opinions about what the author is saying – including my disagreement

Often, my comments are in the nature of telling myself :

Hey ! We should try out this idea in our own business ( Head-hunting / Online Recruitment )

Following are my comments re :

  MAVERICK - RICARDO SEMLER         

                                                                                                          
=====================================================================================

Page No X

·         Our feb14, 1990 I deposited RS – 3000 /= from my personal account & started a 3P account

·         Sometime around 1982 – same time when I was implementing project WARM at powai. 

Page No Xiv

·         Controlling the “ends”-not the “means “or methods! 

Page No 06

·         We tried such an experiment in EWAC in 1928/85 and it did work very well.

Page no 07

·         I hope, someday we set our consultants to work from their residences accessing our central database thru secure network. If this work well they can be tuned into our “franchisees”

·         Human use of human beings.

Page no 25

·         I believe in OES, we have a report on “inquiries that failed to get converted into order”

Page no 44

·         Similar to L &T sending a legion of powai managers to utkal machinery (UTMAL) in 60 & 70 TO revive its fortunes.

Page no 46

·         This was UTMAL’S problem too!

Page no 63

·         For L&T S’ shoe-project at HALOL,I did away with security- check of workers at the end of the shift –and refused to.

·         Re-introduce it when a worker admiHed to have “stolen”2 pairs of does! Instead, I talked to all workers- without revealing ID entry of “thief”!

Page no 64

·         But, in 2004, how do you cope with a situation when just one employee can can walk-out with your entire “Database” (vital) on one CD?

·         This is exactly what I explained to workers of HALOL in 1988, after that “theft” incident.

Page no 65

·         You need only 1such incidence in 5 years to ruin your company & set up competitors!!

Page no 70

·         When I was moved to CLIL (Madh Island) in 1971 I did the same and went to com.Dhume’s union office of Andheri (w) for negotiations- along with a few worker leader in my car.Dhume could not believe to do so first offered to do so but after 3 visit, he told the workers that I halo made a very “reasonable”affer which they should accept! He was thrown-out by the workers!!

Page no 72

·         During 1979/87 I sent out 70+ communication to workers ( individual ) copies in English & Marathi – over 7000 copies) – road “ communicating for productivity”

Page no 73

·         Reminds me of my own- shop floor committers unit level committees & the powai – level, APEX, committee, formed after 1984 Agreement with union.

·         At L&T we already allowed union committee members (15) to roam ferly throughout the plan .in 1982; I gave them a room for their own office.

Page no 74

·         In powai too initially this was a typical reaction in 1982 but by 1987 these committees became productive –proactive & truly “managerial” in approach!

·         I am told these committees do not exist anymore in 2004, but some old-timers still remember these fondly

Page no 75

·         We, at L&T did not win any awards in IR but I do remember that around this same time (1986/87) when I was invited to give a talk at NPC-Delhi I insisbedtha our union leader S V naikshare the Dias with me & answer the questions- which he did 50” union like” that it stunned the audience of srexectibg of India!

Page no 76

·         AT L&T works committee” was working since early -1960- and still does & attends to similar issues. For 8 yrs. (79/-87) I was chairman.

·         In L&T canteen, committee” & Employees” credit society” since 1960 & were largely managed by workers.

Page no 77

·         In 1979/80, when ( at L&T ) decided to get out of drilling business, my boss (SRS) suggested we “retrench”300+staff  ( as legally, permitted, in such a “deal ‘with the union leaders ( S.V naik & Nakhate) whereby no one would get retrenched in return for union promising that ,the affected

·         Workers will “accept & carry-out” whatever jobs were offered to them –and wherever these jobs may be located- even if a “skilled” worker had to do

·         “unskilled” job ( till such time a “skilled-level” job became available) it took, me,j.p. naik ( currently  a whole time director of L&T) and union leaders , some ¾  months to redeploy all the worker- cesspit strong “ opposition “from dept. Heads, who were “ forced / persuaded” to accommodate these “surplus” workmen.      

Page no 79

·         As gm. (powai), introduced a daily FMM (five minute meeting-that too standing) with my managers every morning at 9 am in cont. Room.

Page no 82

·         L&T canteen committee is doing this since 1960 or early “70”!    

Page no 83

·         By now, L&T probably subsidizes 95%!

·         A few days back, I was told that L&T s’ suggestion scheme, which had flourished for over 40 years is on the verge of dying!

Page no 85

·         At the urging of APEX productivity committee, L&T shop floor committees too displayed such boards on shop floors during 1982/87.

·         I installed a 35mm slide- projector in each L&T cafeteria, which showed slides on production/ productivity / safely /Housekeeping/ absenteeism etc.as workers at eunuch  

Page no 100

·         Does not work this way, always.

·         During 1972 strike at madh factory I was allowed to enter the factory – along with a few senior mgr.- with workers blocking every one also at the gate then I would send fruits drinks to workers from canteen.

Page no 105

·         At L&T POWAI we installed an IBM 1401 in 1967 which got replaced by Honeywell Bull DPS-7 IN 1982

Page No 119

·         WE ARE about to launch world –wide-jobs .com under the Recruit guru umbrella but as soon as JAM ( JOB ALERT MOBILE ) grows big enough, we would spin it off under a new umbrella .after that we will Recruitguru.com with its own team.

Page no 128

·         Read “communicating for productivity” (a set of 70+circnlars to L&T employees in 1982/1987: each got a personal copy

Page no 131

·         Read my report “prosperity- sharing an unresolved issue” (1983/1984)

Page no 135

·         We carried –out a similar exercise at L&T powai in early 80 – then doge huge pit in which we threw all unwanted files and made a “bonfire” which lighted.

·         “Read human use of human-beings!” by Norbert wiener. 

Page no 142

·         This is what Gunnar Hansen taught me way back in 1960!

Page no 156

·         I still have a copy of the survey we carried amongst L&T workers just before 1984 labor negotiations- results were made available to union.

Page no 157

·         This is what I tried during 1979/1987 thru my circulars to workers at powai “communicating for productivity”

Page no 164

·         Holck-larson & turbo decided, way back in 1956/57, not to hire turbo s’ son or children of senior managers in L&T – even it well qualified.

Page no 177

·         I am reminded of the similar reactions; of L&T powai s; 3- tier productivity committer union members back in 1982/84.

Page no 182

·         I held every morning FMM (five minute meeting) with my dept. Heads (any one they felt like inviting) as GM powai – standing meeting

Page no 185

·         “Seem co” was far from being a “family” where no one ever gets “dismissed”!

Page no 190

·         In recruit guru.com we will offer many many more comparisons- which, HR mgrs. around the world love to present to their Directors!

Page no 191

·         Designation- level / tenure / Mkt. value / co pro:

Page no 195

·         Zero debt =less worries re what future holds.

Page no 197

·         This is exactly the way I wrote my report “QUOvadis?  - IN 1988? – sitting in L&T S GUEST HOUSE, valley view, at lonavala I was 55. 

Page no 201

·         Theodore Levitt in “marketing myopia” unless you make yourself obsolete, your competitors will.

Page no 206

·         In India we too have our army of “factory inspectors”

Page no 207

·         Sound very familiar!

Page no 208

·         I am reminded of data savant (union leader) taking me into a corner of labor commissioner‘s office & telling me “Hddout for a few more days. “GOALOW”will fizzle down”1982. Same in India 2004

Page no 212

·         I am reminded of an incidence – around 1960/61 aham I was sitting with Ram Krishna ( my boss) in his cabin when, our director soring turbo, walked-in and  after a while asked me, “parekh  do me have ,in on factory, some engineers ,who have no work ? Taken aback, I work ‘then he exploding his philosophy of.

Page no 229

·         Quite like in India.

Page no 236

·         In late 60, I made such a proposal to Gunnar Hansen – at that time, GM (powai).

Page no 248

·         Read “wisdom of crowds”

·         Read “Differentiate or Die” by jack trout.

Page no 249

·         Page no 177 (Different or DIE) –miton Friedman we don’t’ thane a desperate need to grow.wehave a desperate desire to grow.”

Page no 257

·         Ho looks Larsen & s.k. turbo, went one step further & made a rule that children of senior Executives of L&T cannot be hired - starting with turbot’s son this was in 1956

Page no 259

·         Be fire I am gone, I would like to see job-info. Reach every deserving jobseeker of India- even those located in remote villages .if I could ,I would like to provide them with a level playing field –same opportunity that their urban cousins get / take for granted.

·         May be, it I could reach an agreement tomorrow with TATA tell services, would be the first step towards, signing up with the rest of the mobile services  providers in India.

Page no 275

·         Billions of starving people invading the kitchens of western millionaires- is a plausible scenario and TV might accelerate this revolution as jobless become more aware –unless we can move jobs to where people live.

·         I am reminded how after 1983 labor Agreement ( year wage Agreement), Dattaji salvi ( shiv –sena union leader)  insisted that I address the 500 workers at L&T powai gate –and how they carried me to gate on their shoulders !

Page no 281

·         Subject = super visor being evaluated.

Page no 291

·         When asked about the secret of his success, George Bernard Shaw is alleged to have said, 

·         “Most people think once-a- year. I have made myself famous by thinking once-a- month”

Page no 292

·         I tried this in a small shop in EWAC factory around 1985 and told the foreman, not to leave his desk unless approached / requested by a worker.

·         Experiment by was hugely successful- and highly.

·         Resented by foremen 2 managers, everywhere!


No comments:

Post a Comment